Ask questions, share knowledge and earn Z points.

Intervention Orders in Victoria-FAQ

Edited by Admin
Intervention Orders in Victoria-FAQ

Applying for an Intervention Order in Victoria - FAQ


My Legal Crunch lawyers provide legal services across Victoria and in Melbourne.  Our lawyers routinely represent both Applicants and Respondents in Violence Intervention Orders. Our lawyers know the procedures and Victorian Courts, we can help you from start to finish with your Intervention Order.


If an Intervention Order has been made against you, click here to see our Responding to an Intervention Order in Victoria FAQ.


Q: Who can apply for an Intervention Order?

A: An Application for an Intervention Order can be made either under the Family Violence Protection Act 2008 where a family relationship exists, or where no family relationship exists, under the Personal Safety Intervention Orders Act 2010.


Q: Are Intervention Orders and Restraining Orders the same thing?

A: Yes, an Intervention Order and a Restraining Order are generally the same thing.  The term and wording of such orders generally differ by each State and Territory, depending upon the governing legislation of the respective State or Territory.


Q: How do I apply for an Intervention Order?

A: An application must be made for an Intervention Order.  In certain circumstances, the Police may make an application on your behalf, however, if you are making an application for yourself or on behalf of a minor under your care, then the application must be made to the Registrar of the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria.  An appointment may be necessary in some Courts, so it is advisable that you call the Court in advance to make a booking.  Your appointment should be made with the closest Court in proximity to where you live.  Depending on your circumstances you may have a member of the Victorian Police assist you in making an application for an Intervention Order.


Q: Do I need a Lawyer for an interim Intervention Order Proceeding?

A: Intervention Orders should not be taken lightly, they can have long lasting effects on you, your family, the other parties involved and on the daily routines of your life.


As an Applicant

It is important that you understand the process, your rights and options before filing an Intervention Order.  It is also important that your Application be made on genuine grounds.  Careful consideration should also be given to the nature and implication of the grounds on which you base your Application.  Our lawyers at My Legal Crunch are experienced in Intervention Order Applications.  We are prepared to give you the comprehensive advice you need before, during and after your Intervention Order Application.


Q: Can my Partner and I have one Intervention Order that protects us both?

A: No, both you and your partner must make separate Intervention Order Applications.


Q: Do I need to know the full name and address of the person that I need an Intervention Order against?

A: When making an Intervention Order Application, it is ideal to have the person’s full name and address.  Having this key information will allow the Courts and/or Police to identify the Respondent.  Without enough detail about the Respondent, whom the Intervention Order Application is made against, it may not be possible to make a successful Intervention Order Application.  For further details, speak to one of intervention order lawyers today on 1800 572 417.


Q: Is there an Application cost for an Intervention Order?

A: There is no Application cost to make an Intervention Order.  We can offer you a fixed fee affordable legal service when it comes to Intervention Order Applications.  Speak with one of our lawyers today to learn more.


Q: Will the Court arrange an interpreter for me?

A: Yes, the Magistrates’ Court will provide an interpreter service for either party in Intervention Order proceedings, however, it is important to make sure the Court is aware of your need for an interpreter for your specific day in Court.  Never assume that the Court will have an interpreter in your given language on standby, it is always best to give the Court as much notice as possible.  With our lawyers representing you, we ensure the Court is well informed of your needs and prepared so you don’t have to worry.


Q: Do your lawyers cover other areas of the law in Victoria or Melbourne?

A: Yes, My Legal Crunch provides legal services across Victoria and in Melbourne in the following areas


·        Criminal Law

·        Civil Law

·        Family Law for Property Settlement

·        Family Law for Parenting and Child Custody Issues

·        Divorce Law

·        Domestic Violence Matters including Intervention Orders or IVOs

·        Employment Law

·        Wills and Estate Planning

·        Probate and Estate Administration

·        Commercial Law

·        Consumer Law


Q: What areas of Victoria do your lawyers service?

A: Please see below-


Melbourne - Level 28, 303 Collins St, Melbourne, Victoria 3001


Melbourne | Greater Metropolitan Melbourne | Ballarat | Bendigo | Box Hill | Broadmeadows | Chelsea | Cranbourne | Dandenong | Echuca | Emerald | Frankston | Gippsland | Geelong l Keysborough | Langwarrin | Lynbrook | Narre Warren | Mildura | Melton | Mornington Peninsula | Pakenham | Ringwood | Shepparton | Tarneit | Trunganina | Werribee | Wyndham Vale


If you don't see your Victorian suburb listed above, please contact us, we provide legal services to Melbourne, Greater Metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria.

To learn more see our other sections on Intervention Orders:
We can offer you a fixed fee affordable legal service when it comes to Intervention Orders. Speak with one of our lawyers today to learn more.  


In a legal crunch?

Call our lawyers today on 1800 572 417

Ask questions, share knowledge and earn Z points.

Popular Posts